Shawnee Heights point guard Tez Scroggins, Seaman shooting guard Joe Miller, and Hayden guard Jacob Head remain the top three senior prospects in Topeka.
However, there have been two changes to round out the top five as Shawnee Heights guard Tony Barksdale rises to No. 4 and Topeka West 6-foot-7 center Josh Reynolds (pictured) moves up to fifth.
Washburn Rural’s Chris Edwards, who leads the city in scoring through the first month of the season, cracked the top 10 at ninth.
To watch videos of the prospects, click the video icon next to their name.
Top 10 Prospects in 2015 Class (Updated: December 26, 2014)
1. Tez Scroggins, 6-0, PG, Shawnee Heights – Scroggins has been nearly unstoppable during the first month of the season leading the T-Birds to a 4-0 start. Scroggins is averaging 18.0 points and is doing an excellent job of distributing the ball. He’s very tough to stop with the ball in his hands and is one of the top unsigned prospects in Kansas.
2. Joe Miller, 6-5, SG, Seaman (Central Missouri) – Miller is averaging 18.7 points and shooting 50.7 percent from the field for the Vikings. He’s already had a number of impressive dunks and is a tough player defend when he’s knocking down his 3-point shot and getting to the basket.
3. Jacob Head, 6-2, G, Hayden – Head is off to a slow start making the transition from football and battling a sickness, but he could head up at any moment. Head averaged 17.4 points in 17 games last season and remains a player to pay close attention to as an intriguing prospect who has been praised for his knowledge of the game and ability to score at ease.
4. Tony Barksdale, 5-10, G, Shawnee Heights – The talented running back who rushed for over 2,000 yards this season can flat out score the ball. He’s already put up a 32-point performance in a win over Seaman and is leading the T-Birds in scoring at 19 points in four games.
5. Josh Reynolds, 6-7, C, Topeka West – Reynolds has shown great improvements over the past year and has moved up in the rankings. Reynolds is averaging 11 points and 9 rebounds a game while shooting 64.1 percent from the floor. He’s shown better moves in the post and has added a nice jump shot to his game while rebounding at a better rate.
6. Josh Barber, 5-10, PG, Topeka High – Barber has also shown a great deal of improvement in the past year and was the best player on the court in a win over rival Highland Park scoring 19 points and dishing out eight assists. He’s handling the ball well and has showed good vision.
7. Marcus Meier, 6-4, PF, Hayden – Meier is a very productive player who averaged 18.4 points and 7.4 rebounds a game last season and has already put up 33 points in a game this season. Meier has very good hands around the basket and good footwork, which leads to scoring in bunches.
8. Daniel Kingcannon, 6-5, SF, Highland Park – Kingcannon is a spot-up perimeter shooter who uses his length to his advantage as a scorer and also a defender, which leads to blocked shots. Kingcannon is still searching for a breakout game this year, but he has the ability to shine at any moment.
9. Chris Edwards, 6-0, G, Washburn Rural — Edwards has had a great start to his senior season averaging a city-best 21.4 points in five games. He’s shooting the ball much better–43 percent from the floor and 85 percent from the free-throw line. He’s also been an important leader for a group looking to get back to winning more consistently.
10. Duncan Whitlock, 6-3, SG, Topeka High – Whitlock continues to be an all-around player who can handle the ball, shoot, and defend. He’s part of a crowded backcourt at Topeka High and is currently third on the team in scoring at 9.2 a game.
Other seniors to keep an eye on
Adrian Aguilar, 5-10, PG, Topeka West
Ryan Anderson, 5-10, PG, Hayden
Reid Fehr, 5-11, PG, Seaman (Allen C.C. baseball)
Nick Hammes, 6-3, F, Hayden
Connor Hansen, 6-4, F, Washburn Rural
Brandon Haynes, 6-1, F, Washburn Rural
Elijah Keith, 5-5, PG, Topeka High
Andrew Korbe, 6-0, SG, Shawnee Heights
Joel Long, 6-4, F, Topeka High
Mitchell Lummis, 6-1, F, Shawnee Heights
Michael Mariani, 5-10, G, Topeka West
Derrick McGreevy, 6-2, F, Hayden
Reid Morgart, 6-3, F, Seaman
Sam Moylan, 6-2, F, Seaman
Rhett Purling, 6-2, F, Shawnee Heights
Malik Stanley, 6-3, F, Shawnee Heights
Richard Steele, 6-3, SG, Topeka West
Devon Townsend, 5-11, SG, Highland Park
Camden Wheatley, 6-0, SG, Shawnee Heights
Marshawn White, 5-10, SG, Highland Park